Why?

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
ryr8828

Why?

Post by ryr8828 » 07 Jan 2011, 16:03

I've decided to buy a scar17, but with the recent price increase I have to ask myself why?
Now I am asking all of you. Why? The last time I checked with my dealer, in December, it was $2380 plus tax for a scar 17. He couldn't get one. I want one in fde which is harder to get. He could get me a black one now, it's available to him.

It's a 16" barrel .308 that is probably barely capable of 1moa accuracy for God's sakes.
My dpms 308LR 20" rifle is that accurate. At $925. Pmags for it are less than $25 and not hard to find. I'll admit it is a fairly heavy unit.

I talked myself out of a scar16 after I took a sig556ER in trade, I had a piston 5.56 to go with my other 4 ar's.

I'm happy with the function of fnh guns. I started out with an fnp 9 that I thought was a steal at $400. Then I got an fnp .45, not a steal at $675 with some trinkets included but I had to have it. I love both.

Then I had some extra money laying around and as much as I'd made fun of people paying a grand for a pistol with an underpowered round I bought a fiveseven for around $900.
Fell in love with the cartridge and had to have a ps90. Another $1380.

Then an fs2000 from gunbroker for $1600.

So why am I determined to take another [redacted] from fn to the tune of $2500+ for a scar17? What makes it worth it?

romer522

Re: Why?

Post by romer522 » 07 Jan 2011, 18:18

The only thing the 17 has that your DPMS doesn't is a folding stock, continuous rails/side rails, and one of the most rock-solid operating systems out there. Worth $1500? Might be, might not be.

fd57

Post by fd57 » 07 Jan 2011, 18:54

Give it some time. IE, hold off. We were fairly set on investing in a Scar 17 but not at the initial prices. The prices have come down. But the feedback has been coming out, too. There are some points that some Scar 17 owners have raised that have caused us to hold off and reconsider. The first is that with seemingly all FN products: the lack of aftermarket parts. The second is that with seemingly all FN products: the lack of FN parts (it seems quite difficult to purchase spare parts from FN direct). These first two are compared to other manufacturers. Specifically with the Scar 17 there has been feedback about the stock bolt/ping/we don't remember right now breaking or the weak point. If you GOOGLE you read up on this. Anyways, it sounds like you've got some doubt, so might be best to hold off at this point. A separate brand that we've been researching is Daniel Defense. You might look into this company if you're looking for .308.

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 07 Jan 2011, 20:08

Buy it dude, I always use the Braveheart excuse..

One day.. many many years from now, lying on your death bed... what do you honestly have to lose from buying that awesome gun? What looks right now like important fiscal decisions will be nothing but petty details as you look back upon your life. The only things you'll be able to take with you to the next world are your experiences that you've had in this lifetime... thats it.

Get the SCAR if it makes you happy. :evil:

fooschnickens
custom title: ~( ̄∇ ̄~) (~ ̄∇ ̄)~

Post by fooschnickens » 08 Jan 2011, 14:40

It's a 16" barrel .308 that is probably barely capable of 1moa accuracy for God's sakes.
Ahahahahahah no.
http://www.f00tography.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

SeaHawkDriver-B
Location: Embarked on 2 acres of floating Soverign US Territory

Post by SeaHawkDriver-B » 08 Jan 2011, 15:01

Everybody always likes to judge a rifle by how they can shoot it on a warm sunny afternoon off of a stable wooden bench at a non-moving piece of paper while sipping a cool tasty beverage.

I always thought that so-called "assault rifles" were to be judged by how fast you can use it to break open a door, run across a trench, climb up a muddy hill, hit the deck and put a dozen rounds on a group of moving target at 200m. I'll take 1MOA any day if it can withstand the journey to get there and still cycle and maintain zero.

If you want accuracy, buy a bench rest rifle....

flyingirish04
Gold Member
custom title: Mtn Man in Flatland

Post by flyingirish04 » 08 Jan 2011, 20:56

I don't like the SCAR design, so don't ask me ;)
Killed Two Stones with One Bird.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 09 Jan 2011, 11:26

I think a lot of the 'negativity' regarding the SCAR is that you really only ever see the bad things about it. There are still not that many out there right now and the design is still being updated. Many of the first models were snatched up by fanboys and fudds who don't care about how it works or what its capable of, they just gottahaveit. In many of these cases their 'skill' falls well short and they have to justify this by making the gun look bad. No one questions them because they have an extensive collection of fancy toys so everyone figures they know their stuff. My Mk16 was one of the early models but shows no signs of any of the issues others have reported and can make fist-sized groupings when standing at 100yds and even tighter when sitting (no bags/rest). Maybe I'm lucky, or maybe I'm not a complete idiot. The latter is hard to determine when all you have to go by is some text on a page. You almost always never get the whole story and sometimes get downright lies. My skill level is nowhere near even the lower limits of what this platform is capable of. In the hands of someone with years of training/experience it is a very formidable platform.

Since you already own a piston carbine you should be familiar with how it handles when fired. Expect very much the same with the SCAR. After firing my friend's 556 I can safely say that I would own one even though I already own a SCAR. The biggest difference between the two is the recoil management. The 556 is short and punchy, similar to an AR. The SCAR is fluid and smooth, somewhat like an AK (I liken it to being hit by a gust of wind). Some argue that the SCAR has greater felt recoil due to the slab o' metal flying around inside but despite that it's very manageable. The slow motion of the bolt combined with the excellent PWS comp makes muzzle rise minimal and very predictable. By the time everything resets, you're left pointing right back where you were when you first pulled the trigger. Chasing tennis balls and paper plates seems almost boring.

Now, this is all with a Mk16. I have not fired a 17 yet, but I imagine many of these features and characteristics are very similar if not the same. If you have a chance, try out a SCAR regardless of caliber.
Corporation: n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility.
-Ambrose Bierce

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Jan 2011, 13:02

I would say the SCAR is punchy and the Sig more smooth, but that is just me. I think it is under engineered and over done cosmetically. I also question the durability of the 16, as does the military. I have fired the 17, and I would rather have a SR-25. To each their own, but I would rather have 2 Sig 556s or one custom Billet AR than on SCAR 16. Enough said I know.

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 09 Jan 2011, 15:54

On the contrary. You have actual trigger time with the firearm. And on top of that, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, it is when that opinion is based on heresay and false truths is where the bottles start flying and people start diving under tables. :laugh:
-Ambrose Bierce

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 09 Jan 2011, 19:05

I think we can both agree the ACR is a POS. ;)

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 09 Jan 2011, 19:14

Haha Image
-Ambrose Bierce

romer522

Post by romer522 » 09 Jan 2011, 20:22

flyingirish04 wrote:I would say the SCAR is punchy and the Sig more smooth, but that is just me. I think it is under engineered and over done cosmetically. I also question the durability of the 16, as does the military. I have fired the 17, and I would rather have a SR-25. To each their own, but I would rather have 2 Sig 556s or one custom Billet AR than on SCAR 16. Enough said I know.

Only thing I didn't like was the reciprocating charging handle and its location, and a bit of the stock feel. Same boat as you I sold my 16 and bought a custom piston AR.

type5

Post by type5 » 11 Jan 2011, 19:40

flyingirish04 wrote:I think we can both agree the ACR is a POS. ;)
You don't have one and I do. I could not dissagree more. I is a great weapon. I also have a FN SCAR 17: I like the SCAR 17 more but the FN could improve in a couple of areas it it was more like the ACR.
To each his own...Good Shooting to all....

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 11 Jan 2011, 23:06

type5 wrote:
flyingirish04 wrote:I think we can both agree the ACR is a POS. ;)
You don't have one and I do. I could not dissagree more. I is a great weapon. I also have a FN SCAR 17: I like the SCAR 17 more but the FN could improve in a couple of areas it it was more like the ACR.
To each his own...Good Shooting to all....
Type5, sorry, I have shot two of them, both models, and I can't disagree with you more. Not going to rag on your pride and joy though. Hope you got it in for the recall, don't want it blowing up in your face. :facepalm:

fooschnickens

Post by fooschnickens » 11 Jan 2011, 23:20

IIRC it wasn't for blowing up, it was for dumping full mags for a single trigger pull.
-Ambrose Bierce

flyingirish04
Gold Member

Post by flyingirish04 » 12 Jan 2011, 06:07

Oh yeah, well, still hope he sent it in. I in no way mean to pick on him. Sometimes we get attached to certain weapons no matter what others feel about em. Heck, Freeze even thinks the M9 is a beauty ;). Eye of the beholder and what not I guess.

tombirdman

Post by tombirdman » 29 May 2011, 10:02

Just goes to show, " Different strokes for different folks, "

I worship my SCAR 16s and 17s.
They are properly scoped and are the best thing since popcorn !

They are an origional but still borrow some of the best of other platforms - { HK G36, AR, etc. }
Then again what system doesn't { AK47 from German weapons, GALIL from VALMET-AK47, Sig 500 series from AK, and on and on. }

They are simply the very best of everything that went before with some new inovations.

I like black rifles and have a copy of just about all of them. They all are good to great.
Forget anything made by Century. They take great rifles and ruin them with their cheap copies. Have had some work well but had many more that were problems from the getgo.

We are blessed by having people and companies who are always trying to advance the art.

For right now my vote goes to FN SCARS but I am always open to be educated.

It's really such a personal decision. Who knows who's right or wrong? For that matter, who cares! Get what you like and keep it, improve it but most of all = enjoy it !

If everyone liked the same thing that would certainly end the industry