Best palce to purchase reloading Equipment?

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

jonboy

Best palce to purchase reloading Equipment?

Post by jonboy » 21 May 2012, 11:43

I am new to reloading and I have not purchased a lot of things online. I would like to know what web sites have the largest selection and who is the best to order from on the web?

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Best place to purchase reloading Equipment?

Post by Rapier1772 » 21 May 2012, 12:46

It depends on what you are looking for.
Use the forum Wiki (top left) to get an idea as to what all you need then go to google & type in "reloading equipment".
Most equipment manufacturers also sell stuff on their sites.
Gunbroker (basically ebay for guns & gun stuff) has some deals usually and sometimes you can find stuff here or on other chat forums occasionally.

Midway USA & Brownells are pretty decent sites but as usual, shop around.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

GONRA

Re: Best palce to purchase reloading Equipment?

Post by GONRA » 21 May 2012, 13:41

GONRA suggests Midway, Wideners, Brownells, Dillon and the
equipment manufacturer's themselves for wierd items.
One way or another, get a Big Strong Press with STANDARD DIE THREADS!
(7/8-14 or 1 1/2-12 bushed to 7/8-14. Avoid 1 1/4 - 12.)
Compare prices, shipping $$$ etc. on each deal and go from there.

Search around for Powder, Primers at local Gun Shoppes to save shipping $$$.
Make SURE its "fresh stock". Do NOT purchase opened powder containers!!!
Avoid Gun Show powder / primers unless its from a guy who specializes in reloading
and hasa nice waiting line of fellas purchasing stuff.

PS - if you are Just Getting Started, reload with True Blue Manufcturer's Powder data.

blaster1

Post by blaster1 » 21 May 2012, 16:18

Places I have ordered reloading equipment and supplies with comments:
1) Midway (fast shipping but not necessarily the best prices, they do occassionally run promo codes for more discount)
2) Midsouth Shooters Supply (usually fast shipping, good prices)
3) Natchez (fast shipping, good prices, and excellent customer service with followup)
4) Graf and Sons (good shipping rates but not necessarily the best prices unless it is on sale)

jonboy

Post by jonboy » 23 May 2012, 05:34

thanks guys I bought a old mans reloading set up last night. brand new and once fired brass that fill up the back of my truck everything from 22 cal to odd ball stuff TONS of 308, 30.06, 270, 223 ect. the only die he did not have was the 5.7x28 (the cartridge that made me want to reload) I am talking grocery bags full, labled, and shiny. THee were 2 dillion 550b and every single die i know to be made some complete dies he had 2 and 3 of never opened and a couple of single stage presses made by lee. i had to go back for the bullet, tumbelers, scales etc. There were more manuals i can read in a lifetime. everything was in prestine condition and had been taken very good care of. The one thing that concerned me was the powder. it had been sitting in a garage for several years and i do not know about the expiration or what kind of atmosphere gun powder can be subjected to before or if it goes bad. Advice? thanks guys i kinow answering a newbie with some of the dumb questions he can come up with can be annoying. but thank you for all you help. By the way i bought this set up for $500

blaster1

Post by blaster1 » 23 May 2012, 05:59

Sounds like you found the best place to purchase reloading equipment hands down. Hats off to you.

romer522

Post by romer522 » 23 May 2012, 07:53

jonboy wrote:thanks guys I bought a old mans reloading set up last night. brand new and once fired brass that fill up the back of my truck everything from 22 cal to odd ball stuff TONS of 308, 30.06, 270, 223 ect. the only die he did not have was the 5.7x28 (the cartridge that made me want to reload) I am talking grocery bags full, labled, and shiny. THee were 2 dillion 550b and every single die i know to be made some complete dies he had 2 and 3 of never opened and a couple of single stage presses made by lee. i had to go back for the bullet, tumbelers, scales etc. There were more manuals i can read in a lifetime. everything was in prestine condition and had been taken very good care of. The one thing that concerned me was the powder. it had been sitting in a garage for several years and i do not know about the expiration or what kind of atmosphere gun powder can be subjected to before or if it goes bad. Advice? thanks guys i kinow answering a newbie with some of the dumb questions he can come up with can be annoying. but thank you for all you help. By the way i bought this set up for $500

Whether the powder is still good after long term garage storage is really a question of where you live (climate), whether it was sealed, and how long its been there, same goes for primers. If you have a bunch of half used, old, 1lb containers, you're probably safer to just dispose of it (fertilizer or fire) you got an amazing deal either way, if you ended up with 4lb-8lb sealed containers, or multiple containers from the same lot, it's probably just fine and worth keeping.

GONRA

Post by GONRA » 23 May 2012, 13:39

romerS22 has GREAT advice for jonboy.
GONRA sez particularly since you "are new to reloading"
start off with FRESH POWDER and FRESH PRIMERS
to establish an "reloading experience baseline".

You stumbled onto a "once in a lifetime" ammo component deal.
Everybody out there is REALLY JEALOUS! REALLY REALLY REALLY
Deleting the Garage Powder isn't a Big $$$ Deal under these circumstances...

If the Garage Powder smells "bad" get rid of it RIGHT AWAY.
If the Garage Powder "seems OK" (doubtful)
you can at least CONSIDER hanging onto it. (I wouldn't though...)

After you get lottsa experience reloading with known proper powder and primers,
THEN, you can then consider what to do with the "free" but "suspect" Garage Powder.
But be careful and stick to small batches to shoot up soon.

After some reloading experience, you probably can verk out some way to
"test" the Garage Powder in some firearm (NOT 5.7x28FN caliber!)
to see if it seems "standard" or "screwed up".

Primers shouldn't be a huge problem.
Olde primers might be useful in small initial ammo batches, tests, experiments, etc.
If they're bad (hangfires, duds) then you can get rid of them...

MrSlippyFist
Global Moderator
custom title: Sweeper

Post by MrSlippyFist » 23 May 2012, 13:57

I try to support my local vendors first, otherwise all the mentioned online vendors are adequate.
Embrace the Suck

mcracco

Post by mcracco » 29 May 2012, 03:27

MidwayUSA is awesome for decent prices and excellent delivery. I always Google "MidwayUSA coupon" before finalizing an order and I will almost always find a promo code that will at least offset the cost of shipping.