Hornady Teflon Spray

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

FNFbobcat

Hornady Teflon Spray

Post by FNFbobcat » 05 Oct 2020, 08:34

Many are familiar with Hornady One Shot Lube in the RED can. Available search information indicates that it contains silicon, and from my experience (Don't even get me started) it never dries completely and leaves a tacky feel that I suspect attracts dirt and powder residue. I could never get it completely removed from cases and had to throw away the brass.

On the other hand, the DRY lube in the BLACK can is overlooked (rarely discussed in forums) and appears to be Teflon based. From my experience, it dries completely and and does not leave a tacky residue. I do NOT advocate using it as a resizing lube, but wondered if anyone has tried it on finished ammo to protect the polymer coating and potentially improve feeding and extraction.

I'm still trying to find dies, so haven't had a chance to try it yet.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Hornady Teflon Spray

Post by panzermk2 » 07 Oct 2020, 06:06

Not only do I recommend sizing lube I recommend sizing and depriming on a single stage and THEN cleaning the cases with the simple green procedure which should remove any one shot residue.

Not only does the lube protect the finish but often you have substantial shoulder movement with the 5.7 brass . When you bump back the shoulder WITHOUT lube to stress the hell out of the cases and run the risk of constant neck separations on your reloads.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 07 Oct 2020, 11:33

Jay, I think you may have misread my post. I was NOT advocating resizing without lube. I just said that I would not recommend Hornady Gun CLEANER (black can) for resizing, as it is not intended for this purpose.
After reloading for more than forty years, and having many stuck cases using Hornady One-Shot Lube (red can), I personally have found it to lack adequate lubricity.
I once asked tech support at a major manufacturer of reloading equipment whether they preferred any particular sizing lube. Their response was "They are all comparable, with the exception of that 'junk' in the red spray can".
Convenience comes at a cost. There ain't no free lunch.

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 08 Oct 2020, 11:22

While researching this subject, I happened upon an old thread from "The High Road". Apparently, I'm not the first to ask this question. I paraphrase for brevity:

"Teflon is a polymer. Using Teflon (on finished rounds AFTER resizing) on the 5.7x28 would certainly make sense. It's low coefficient of friction, hydrophobic properties, low chemical reactivity, and thermo-plasticity would likely make it a good option to improve feeding and extraction". (as well as protect the factory polymer coating during same)

If I ever find dies, I'll give it a try and update this thread with field results.

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 26 Oct 2020, 10:00

Just got a can of Hornady Gun Cleaner and Spray Lube (black can). The stuff is a mess. The "cleaner" part dissolves EVERYTHING, including the bluing on my brand new Ruger 57 magazines! Took several applications of Break Free CLP to remove the stuff.
I would NOT recommend trying to spray this on brass (or anything else), as it is likely to dissolve the polymer finish.

Great theory, horrible product!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 27 Oct 2020, 10:56

DAMN! thank you for the feed back!
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 01 Nov 2020, 09:10

I just did what I should have done before posting my results. I actually sprayed some on a scratched case and to my surprise, it did not appear to have any detrimental effect on the factory polymer finish. Still don't understand what happened with the blued finish on my mags, but it appears to be safe on brass.
I am not recommending it's use until I have a chance to field test it (still trying to find dies). But it may still have potential with regard to 5.7 cases.
When I am able to resize, I will see if there is any negative interaction between Teflon and sizing lube and will post results.
In the meantime, I would welcome feedback from anyone else that can find a can to experiment with.

rete8usn

Post by rete8usn » 01 Feb 2021, 18:54

Interesting thread..... I just purchased my Five-seveN and some once fired brass since factory loaded ammo is almost non-available or sellers are asking $100 a box. The message NOT to tumble clean the brass was loud and clear. Same with the use of a teflon spray lubricant on the cases after they are loaded. Lubing the cases for sizing also stressed, but unless I missed it, no concurrence on type of lube was apparent. I am going to surmise that the standard type of case lube one would normally use when sizing bottlenecked rifle brass is not a good idea. Saw lanolin mixture mentioned but did not see if the mixture was stated or if there was a premixed product available.

All answers to these question is greatly appreciated. OK to PM me answers also.

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 02 Feb 2021, 18:32

I want to re-emphasize the following lest readers misunderstand:

Teflon spray lube is NOT an adequate substitute for resizing lube or factory lacquer/ polymer case coating!

It does not appear to harm either factory firearm or case finishes.

Use at ones discretion.

BRZ

Post by BRZ » 15 May 2021, 03:44

rete8usn wrote:
01 Feb 2021, 18:54
Interesting thread..... I just purchased my Five-seveN and some once fired brass since factory loaded ammo is almost non-available or sellers are asking $100 a box. The message NOT to tumble clean the brass was loud and clear. Same with the use of a teflon spray lubricant on the cases after they are loaded. Lubing the cases for sizing also stressed, but unless I missed it, no concurrence on type of lube was apparent. I am going to surmise that the standard type of case lube one would normally use when sizing bottlenecked rifle brass is not a good idea. Saw lanolin mixture mentioned but did not see if the mixture was stated or if there was a premixed product available.

All answers to these question is greatly appreciated. OK to PM me answers also.
I use Lee case lube in the tube and seems to work well. Doesn’t remove factory coating.

dnchrist

Post by dnchrist » 07 Sep 2021, 23:58

For me, the real solution to the problem was someone somewhere mentioned polishing the inside of the RCBS sizer die. I did that using the same rubbery impregnated polishing things that I use on my other weapons feed ramps, with a little stick polish. I went from stuck and scraped cases to absolutely NO ISSUES!

I punch the primers out using a universal primer pusher die. (I do not put dirty cases in my nice polished die!) I then use Simple Green and water mix for cleaning (no tumbling.) I then roll my cases in RCBS sizing lube on a pad to make them quite slippery. They slide well, and not as much downward pressure during sizing is required.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 10 Sep 2021, 05:20

If you dig down deep enough into this forum you will come across posts about doing what you figured out with the RCBS sizer.

In the past, over a decade ago, when EA used 1x brass I came up with my own spray lube. I still use it when re loading my rifle and other common calibers I have.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition