5.7 case neck separation

Reloading info for the 5.7x28mm

Moderator: Grantness

fredkali

5.7 case neck separation

Post by fredkali » 19 Oct 2020, 05:48

When a case neck separation occurs, how catastrophic is it? Does it sting your hand or does it blow up the gun?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: 5.7 case neck separation

Post by panzermk2 » 21 Oct 2020, 16:57

Normally all that happens is the next round won't chamber all the way. You then stop and inspect. Most people do this.
You then look in the chamber or at your spent brass. If you go back there are threads about this going back many years.

Now the shit goes sideways when people pound the slide closed with their hand then pull the trigger.

Normally the extent of the damage is a blown out magazines, Possibly a slide cover.

There are times the section is so small the gun still works. You will experience hard to extract cases and constant fail to feed and fail to extract. With the FsN this has been less of an issue in that last few years.

Now the Ruger 57 is a whole new animal and from what I have seen some of their chambers run on the tight inside causing this issue. They sometimes work in and it stops happening and sometimes you have to send it back to Ruger. I suspect a good chamber polishing is what they need. I have 2 test mule rugers that are being used for daily production ammunition quality control test firings. I have not had neck separations on ether gun BUT I am NOT going to polish since I am testing these longterm "As is"
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz