Broke my "new" camera :( Need advice from you.

General discussion.
blueorison
Competition/Training Mod
custom title: UT/EA Pistol Captain

Broke my "new" camera :( Need advice from you.

Post by blueorison » 20 Aug 2012, 20:40

:(

Does anyone have a good recommendation on a sturdy (apparently not Canon ELPH which got messed up the first day I owned it) camera that takes 720p video? I don't need the 1080 I originally thought. Handhelds are also ok; they are a lot less expensive but also seem to be cheaply constructed. Then again, so does a lot of the cameras, these days. I owned a Nikon Coolpix 3.0 MP camera, and dropped it down stone steps over 10 times. It still worked amazing and took wonderful pictures for a 3.0 MP.

If this question seems familiar, it is because I've already broken my "new" camera that I asked for recommendations on. I break pretty much everything, but this break is expensive (to me!) and I'm pretty discouraged about it. It was $200, which is quite a little bit to me.

Perhaps I should go back to a Nikon? My main focus is taking 720p video at 30fps or higher. Good macro shots are also important.

Thanks in advance; I'm going to google and check some camera/video forums.
Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity.
The shooter will always matter more than the gear ever will.
Stop relying on others to do the work for you.
Shoot more, worry less.

romer522

Re: Broke my "new" camera :( Need advice from you.

Post by romer522 » 20 Aug 2012, 20:46

There are 4 or 5 decent rugged/waterproof cameras out there right now. Not gonna stack up in the image quality but they won't break on you as fast either. Couple of them will even shoot 1080 and have burst modes too.

Hobknob
Gold Member

Post by Hobknob » 20 Aug 2012, 20:50

Panasonic Lumix TS2/TS3 series of underwater/outdoor cameras are awesome. Ours has survived several years worth of all the abuse that we could throw at it (which has included drops, kicks, black-diamond ski slopes...without anybody attached to the leash...ect)
Love it. Kinda sucks in low light, but great in daytime.
-- Thank you for calling 911 emergency services, please hold --
~~ \|/ ~~

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 20 Aug 2012, 20:52

Get a decent cell phone and put it in an otter box.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 20 Aug 2012, 20:56

srt-4_jon wrote:Get a decent cell phone and put it in an otter box.
I'm quite impressed with the photo and video quality off my Galaxy Nexus but I don't know if it would hold up to the rigors of blue.

Reminds me of the little girl in Finding Nemo that shakes all the fish to death so the other fish are scared of her. Don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about.

And I mean that in the best possible way, at least you actually run your gear :thumb: :laugh:

eagleshotz
custom title: You like that

Post by eagleshotz » 20 Aug 2012, 21:03

I still have a Kodak Z1012 IS I bought back a couple years ago and still have never had a problem with it unless your a lithuim battery.. :wall: It eats it like a rotty. :ponder: Anyways, check out my thread(official NFL thread) and you see the results for yourself. :thumb:

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 20 Aug 2012, 21:03

GoPro :)

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 20 Aug 2012, 22:00

Thanks for the advice guys; I use my gear but I respect the tools I use, also. I don't abuse things unnecessarily...

The Canon ELPH really is weak, and made for a babying. I took it caving, and didn't bang it up as I put it into a protective pocket which made no contact with the cave. The moment I took it out, the dust in the cave air clogged up the lens and since that first day, the zoom would not work. Since then I took it kayaking and mountain biking, and though I crashed into brush mountain biking, I cradled the camera (I might have been mountain biking one-handed because I was biking and filming nature & my 12 kids). I was hard on the bike, but not the camera.

I can't get the nice smart-phones everyone and their mom has, because it will not last me. The first day I had my touchscreen non-smart phone, my kids threw me into the springs. After that, I couldn't change the phone out for another, because Best Buy doesn't care about helping people out, just money.

GoPros are not what I want; I'm not an adrenaline junkie. I do not need some warfighter call of duty first person view of being HSLD, nor do I want that perspective on video recordings.

Most of what I use my camera for is taking in the beautiful nature around me on my HSLD mountain hikes and outdoor adventures... not shooting 3Gun... I am in nature a lot more than I am at the range.

Hobbes, I will look at the Lumix. I have a feeling I have used them before and that I will be purchasing one unless someone convinces me otherwise. Nikon was my first pick. My first camera was a Coolpix. Now THAT I was very hard on. It survived everything and to date is the best point and shoot camera IMO.
Last edited by blueorison on 22 Aug 2012, 14:49, edited 1 time in total.
Shoot more, worry less.

Buffman
Silver Member

Post by Buffman » 20 Aug 2012, 22:06

Fine Fine :)

dhpierre
Silver Member

Post by dhpierre » 21 Aug 2012, 02:00

I may be biased being a Nikon COOLPIX P100 owner, but I would give the COOLPIX AW100 a look. Nikon describes it as rugged, waterproof, shockproof, freezeproof with GPS + Electronic compass. Also it is 16 MP. It has a sealed lens with an internal zoom mechanism. It's 5x optical zoom lens has a 35mm equivalent field of view and has a nice macro capability. Most experts review it at about 4 out of 5 stars, dinging it mostly for low light performance and price. PCMag says it is the fastest in it's class. It runs about $ 280.

Just my .02.

Cyberfly
Global Moderator
custom title: Mens Room Attendant

Post by Cyberfly » 21 Aug 2012, 05:04

Blue, if you want a 'tough' touch screen smart phone, Samsung makes the Rugby II for AT&T. I've been thinking of getting it myself.
But then I remember you HAVE to have the data plan whether you use it or not and I talk myself out of it.
Never confuse 'The will of the Majority' with 'The will of God'.
**This post created with 100% recycled photons!**

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 21 Aug 2012, 05:48

Hands down the toughest cameras In my opinion are the Olympus tough series. Get the best one you can afford. I have seen a few demos on these and they always have one half way frozen in a block of ice that still works, they have a few at the bottom of a fish tank and they always throw them across the room at a wall, put the batteries back in them as that is the only thing that happens, and proceed to take pictures with it. They do this for hours. Tough series is where its at...

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 21 Aug 2012, 05:59

MikeSantor wrote:Hands down the toughest cameras In my opinion are the Olympus tough series. Get the best one you can afford. I have seen a few demos on these and they always have one half way frozen in a block of ice that still works, they have a few at the bottom of a fish tank and they always throw them across the room at a wall, put the batteries back in them as that is the only thing that happens, and proceed to take pictures with it. They do this for hours. Tough series is where its at...
I just looked these up and they seem like a really good option. I have to say though that if you aren't doing adrenalin junkie stuff with them, I'm not sure why they are meeting a premature demise.

I use a Nikon D5000 and a Canon Vixia HFR21 when I shoot my videos. Neither of them is anything close to what I would call rugged, yet they are up close and personal when I shoot gelatin blocks, gummy bears and other inanimate objects. Lately, the Nikon has been really up close and personal to In The Red exploding targets without getting a scratch.

Maybe I'm just lucky.

If one is not running/jumping/climbing with them in hand, I find that when electronic devices tend to get damaged is during transportation. I always carry mine in a camera bag that I put extra padding in and carry it using a shoulder strap until I'm ready to start shooting. Literally, bwahaha.

Just my $0.02...
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

srt-4_jon

Post by srt-4_jon » 21 Aug 2012, 06:06

PainKillaX wrote:
srt-4_jon wrote:Get a decent cell phone and put it in an otter box.
I'm quite impressed with the photo and video quality off my Galaxy Nexus but I don't know if it would hold up to the rigors of blue
Im guessing you havent seen the otterbox or lifeproof cases? Fwiw, I work in an industrial area with my phone in no case and Im not nice to it. No problems so far. If I did, thats what insurance is for.

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 21 Aug 2012, 06:51

GoPro

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Aug 2012, 07:16

Panasonic, Olympus, and Nikon. Since video and picture quality is all that I care about, and not features, I'll find video and picture samples and compare them. I have used an Olympus camera under water. I want to lean towards Nikon.... thus far Olympus video sample from the point/shoot have very dull colours. I'll also check CNET.

Greenberg; I guess I did use the camera a little roughly... because I had never actually dropped the camera, in my mind it did not deserve to fail. However, the cave air is very thick with fine dust and dirt from the air currents. The issue is that I looked it up, and many others complained of lens failure even without getting dirt in it. The lens protectors themselves were very flimsy and broke off, also.

I guess I will have to get a shockproof/waterproof camera. I won't be able to afford a smart-phone data plan, etc. I also cannot be HSLD with a giant tablet in my pocket. :)
Shoot more, worry less.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 21 Aug 2012, 09:04

Remember, to make a long story short, any camera that is waterproof is going to have inferior video quality to one that is not.

I figured your main concern would be a camera that is BlueProof. If your number one concerns really are pic and vid quality, stay away from anything that is water proof and go for stuff that is just water resistant.
Last edited by MikeSantor on 21 Aug 2012, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Aug 2012, 09:30

MikeSantor wrote:Remember, to make a long story short, any camera that is waterproof is going to have far superior video quality to one that is not.
wait, did you mean the opposite? Regular camera video > waterproof camera video?

I'm going to select the cameras, then compare their video (watching sample videos from 3rd parties) at the same value point. Most cameras already take good-enough pictures for me; it really comes down to the video. I have no need for the other features that load on cost. :thumb:
Shoot more, worry less.

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 21 Aug 2012, 10:00

Lol, sorry, I was posting in between running around and cleaning the house....

Edited...

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 21 Aug 2012, 10:31

MikeSantor wrote:Lol, sorry, I was posting in between running around and cleaning the house....

Edited...
Too HSLD.
Shoot more, worry less.

eagleshotz
custom title: You like that

Post by eagleshotz » 21 Aug 2012, 17:38

Hey blue, do not no how much your willing to spend but if you wanna go all out check out the Hasselblad H4D-60. This one boasts a 60 megapixel medium format sensor and runs around $42,000 dollars. :thumb:

MikeSantor
Gold Member

Post by MikeSantor » 21 Aug 2012, 17:57

eagleshotz wrote:Hey blue, do not no how much your willing to spend but if you wanna go all out check out the Hasselblad H4D-60. This one boasts a 60 megapixel medium format sensor and runs around $42,000 dollars. :thumb:
Just ordered 2 of them, in case I break one obviously...

Onejzsupra
custom title: Submarines Once!

Post by Onejzsupra » 22 Aug 2012, 13:22

MikeSantor wrote:Hands down the toughest cameras In my opinion are the Olympus tough series. Get the best one you can afford. I have seen a few demos on these and they always have one half way frozen in a block of ice that still works, they have a few at the bottom of a fish tank and they always throw them across the room at a wall, put the batteries back in them as that is the only thing that happens, and proceed to take pictures with it. They do this for hours. Tough series is where its at...
I'm going to have to agree, it comes with a CMOS sensor and water proof as well. The only other option I would say is a gopro as someone else stated as you can mount it on just about everything.... including your gun when you want to hit the range = )

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 22 Aug 2012, 14:48

Onejzsupra wrote:
I'm going to have to agree, it comes with a CMOS sensor and water proof as well. The only other option I would say is a gopro as someone else stated as you can mount it on just about everything.... including your gun when you want to hit the range = )
My concern is that the Olympus video quality does not seem up to Nikon's. I definitely am not going the trendy route of getting a gopro like all the other guys out there on youtube, unless EA wants me to do so. :) Thanks for input, I really do appreciate it. I will keep looking at video samples. Video is my #1 concern, next to robustness.
blueorison wrote: GoPros are not what I want; I'm not an adrenaline junkie . I do not need some warfighter call of duty first person view of being HSLD, nor do I want that perspective on video recordings.

Most of what I use my camera for is taking in the beautiful nature around me on my HSLD mountain hikes and outdoor adventures... not shooting 3Gun... I am in nature a lot more than I am at the range.
Shoot more, worry less.

SHEEPDOG
Gold Member
custom title: A.K.A. DW

Post by SHEEPDOG » 22 Aug 2012, 18:18

Nikon Coolpix AW 100

blacklabelop

Post by blacklabelop » 22 Aug 2012, 19:05

Nikon AW100?

Onejzsupra

Post by Onejzsupra » 22 Aug 2012, 19:08

blueorison wrote:
Onejzsupra wrote:
My concern is that the Olympus video quality does not seem up to Nikon's. I definitely am not going the trendy route of getting a gopro like all the other guys out there on youtube, unless EA wants me to do so. :) Thanks for input, I really do appreciate it. I will keep looking at video samples. Video is my #1 concern, next to robustness.
blueorison wrote: GoPros are not what I want; I'm not an adrenaline junkie . I do not need some warfighter call of duty first person view of being HSLD, nor do I want that perspective on video recordings.

If video is the number one issue then you shouldn't get a still camera with video capabilities, go straight for a full on video. The problem is that the only video system that will meet your budget is the gopro, the price for a full on video camera thats shock/water proof is a lot. Nikon is run with Sony sensors so that might open the field a little, look into both systems and see if you can find something worth getting.

This is a sony made camcorder, I can't speak for the quality of it:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/8 ... order.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has a CMOS sensor, good down to 16 in water, dust proof, shock proof, "image stability", 1080p HD Video, "Auto Macro" and x4 digital zoom, F2.8 aperture, LED Video Light.

THE DRAW BACK!
These are huge draw backs,
4 gigs internal memory good for only up to 2 hours of HD video, only 5 mp still images, crappy digital zoom! (If you don't know, digital zoom sucks compared to optical zoom), I'm not sure if it has a tripod mount or if that even matters to you..... Which means you would have to hand hold it the whole time.

If you give me more details as to what exactly you are needing I can help you more, I'll do my best to find something you can use.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 22 Aug 2012, 21:17

Onejzsupra;

on paper, that actually works very well; I hardly ever need over 2 hours of video. However, most of the "video" handhelds for blogging or for outdoor water fun usually take such sub-par pictures that they don't even meet the "pretty good" picture requirements. GoPros are out of the question as they are pretty much directed at one kind of perspective.

Sadly, handheld "point and shoot" cameras still fill the niche wherein I have to search. If I only wanted 100% video, that would make life easier; however, many a time I have to take pictures that require good macro, also.

Sheepdog, I'll look up that model of Nikon.
Shoot more, worry less.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 22 Aug 2012, 22:26

ContourGPS?

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 22 Aug 2012, 22:44

f3rr37 wrote:ContourGPS?
It's pretty much the same as GoPro. Meant for being mounted. I'm not operator enough. :laugh:
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Aug 2012, 00:41

Been thinking about one of those Contour Roam cameras, gun mount occasionally but mostly helmet cam stuff when riding. Just so I have proof of the idiots who can't see me even with 5 freakin' headlights! :furious: Might even make it into a youtube channel :laugh:

Anyway, I have one of those Casio Exilim cameras. Its been ok for what I want but from the sound of it, I doubt it's blue proof :?:
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

JoJo

Post by JoJo » 23 Aug 2012, 10:08

Blue,

Your videos will mainly be posted to the internet so do not go overboard. Canon makes several small but very capable video cameras. I have a good friend that shoots for major corporations and only uses two of these cameras. When he has to go to a DVD he borrows one of my Sony HDCAMs. Check Craigslist for one that has about 30-60gb of internal memory and the capability of using a SD card. I see them all the time priced around $300.00. These tapeless cameras are very dependable.

f3rr37
Site Admin

Post by f3rr37 » 23 Aug 2012, 17:14

Blue, I found your new camera:

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 23 Aug 2012, 18:35

f3rr37 wrote:Blue, I found your new camera:
HAHAHAH THIS IS SO TRUE.

Sadly, I cannot expound even further, as it will offend pretty much everyone.

Sadface.
Shoot more, worry less.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 24 Aug 2012, 09:18

The GoPro 2/Hero definitely has better clarity and sharpness, but like all the super wide angles, has the fishbowl effect are good for basically one application; taking video of first-person stunting. It is not very friendly for doing more in-depth work that covers a broader range. I expected the video of the Lumix to be better, though. I'm going to look at a bigger sample video.

This is a sample of video from the mfg's. (per their rugged camera lines)

After reviewing the GoPro/Nikon/Panasonic Lumix/Sony/Olympus;

Honestly, after watching the clarity of dedicated video like the GoPro, I'm pretty sad at the clarity of "1080" in any of the point/shoot camera brands. I'm going to check out the dedicated hand-helds video-recorders.

In the end, I might compromise and get a GoPro. I really don't wish for the fishbowl effect you can choose between narrow/medium/wideangle shooting on the Hero2, but with slight loss in clarity, or the fact that there is no LCD for easy work reference Just found out you can purchase an add-on LCD, and the Hero2 has a much better user-interface. If I can find a handheld video recorder with the same clarity, maybe I won't have to. After more CNET/3rd party sample video research; NEGATORY, there isn't one in the same sub-$250 price-range.

Because video is the first of the criterion, looks like GoPro Hero2 is best bet, thus far!
Shoot more, worry less.

c1demo
Platinum Member

Post by c1demo » 24 Aug 2012, 10:03

Jgreenberg makes some nice videos, ask what he uses.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 24 Aug 2012, 10:32

c1demo wrote:Jgreenberg makes some nice videos, ask what he uses.
women.
Shoot more, worry less.

PainKillaX

Post by PainKillaX » 24 Aug 2012, 11:05

f3rr37 wrote:Blue, I found your new camera:
Yep.

Onejzsupra

Post by Onejzsupra » 24 Aug 2012, 11:34

= ) Glad you broke down for the go pro

jgreenberg01
Platinum Member
custom title: FNP-45 Cylon

Post by jgreenberg01 » 24 Aug 2012, 12:26

blueorison wrote:
c1demo wrote:Jgreenberg makes some nice videos, ask what he uses.
women.
That's not true. I've never done that before and I'll never do it again.
0100001101101111011011010110010100100000011000010110111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110010100100000011010010111010000101110

texag

Post by texag » 29 Aug 2012, 22:52

Honestly, I would go with the GoPro Hero 2. I use them all the time for work, when I have a camera op leave the shop who I think will break anything and everything they touch, I send them with a GoPro. Those things are virtually indestructible, I have had ops (the camera kind again not the tacticool kind) drop them off of buildings, drag them behind boats, drop big heavy football players on them and they still work. The LCD back is nice and there are plenty of exercise to do just about anything you want to them. The time lapse feature is really cool too, not that you would be able to use that but it works out pretty well.

At the end of the day, that thing is nearly indestructible. The only thing I have learned about their maintenance is that their finish does not like sun screen, which causes a peeling on the cosmetic finish, and that the front lens cover costs about 10 dollars for 2 spare lenses and gaskets and is easier to change out than a watch battery. You are basically getting a camera that may very well be Blue Proof. The video is not bad out of them, when ESPN came through a few weeks ago and took over our stadium for a shoot, they brought like 2 GoPro Techs and a dozen GoPros with them all the way from California. Those guys didn't knwo there was a front and back to a cowboy hat but they could still manage to work a GoPro.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 30 Aug 2012, 01:24

Thanks, Texag!

You sold it very well. Now I just have to brainstorm the majority of applications I will use it for, and make sure it is a footprint filled well by the platform.

I have no doubt.

The downside - Getting a GoPro Hero 2 would severely tempt me to get a head-mount, because I'd feel bad for basically not using it like it was intended (or one of its main points to getting it - the ability to mount it to your body). I will probably just rip off a tripod leg and affix a mount to it and get a buddy to film from behind my shoulder. It's like when you get your first sports car, and you don't want do stupid things with it that you promised yourself you wouldn't. I would still feel bad for "wasting" one of its main features.

Thanks goes to yourself, and everyone who helped me make a decision. I rarely post threads asking for advice, not because I am too egotistical to accept input/criticism, but because I find it more efficient to PM my buddies on this forum and ask them for advice to avoid drawn-out explanations that would bore people. I really appreciate yall's help! :thumb: :clap:
Shoot more, worry less.

blueorison
Competition/Training Mod

Post by blueorison » 17 Oct 2012, 01:40

http://gopro.com/cameras/hd-hero3-black-edition" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EFFFFFFFF!!!!

For what they are, the price really isn't that bad. Only complaint? Fishbowling effect. I've been watching a lot of footage, and it still makes me dizzy from the movement.

I've realized the bottom line is this: It is FANTASTIC for taking still video, like in video reviews, etc. when the camera is mounted and not moving. That's why in the promos, you mostly see beautiful slow-panning shots, straight-traveling shots, etc. You don't see quick movements that change vectors constantly, as in a person moving freely.

When it is placed on a person that is moving quickly and making more jagged/jerky movements, the fishbowling effect is very dramatic and pronounced, and is very irritating to my visual processing.

>>>>

So I looked up on the fishbowl effect, and you can mount aftermarket lenses and post-process the video...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375480" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That is freakin awesome. End all be all solution? > It seems as though that if you do this mod, it won't fit in the protective casing, anymore. Making it not waterproof. So it isn't an end-all be-all.

With the advent of a new GoPro version; the Hero3, WHY THE HECK ARE THE NOT PROVIDING FOR A NON-FISHBOWL LENS OPTION WTF GOPRO. >>>

http://www.goprofix.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So this guy will do the whole setup for you for almost the price of the $200 GoPro. Not bad; definitely worth it.
Shoot more, worry less.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 20 Dec 2012, 17:09

Another option for you blue
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.