FS2000 - Give me some tips for when I get her home.

Discuss the FN lineup of tactical rifles; the FS2000, SCAR, and the venerable FAL.
SoCal Gunner
custom title: WTF

FS2000 - Give me some tips for when I get her home.

Post by SoCal Gunner » 12 Sep 2011, 19:42

For those of us in the "People's Republic of Kalifornia" we have a 10 waiting period and I'm just about there but it's killing me.

So give me some tips on what I need to be aware of when I get the FS2000 home.
Are there any cleaning tips or tricks (especially the initial cleaning) for the FS2000?
How about pointers for lubrication that I won't find in the manual?
Any mandatory accessories (already considering a sling and maybe the Judo handle)?
I've got a bunch of 62 grain 5.56 for the 1:7 twist barrel - what do you guys like to feed yours?

Feel free to add anything else you think might help!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: FS2000 - Give me some tips for when I get her home.

Post by Rapier1772 » 12 Sep 2011, 20:22

I just use mine for playing around, nothing too extravagant. Just PMC 55gr mostly, sometimes I throw in better stuff. Cleaning, I follow the manual - there's also a wiki entry here on disassembly/reassembly.
I still haven't gotten a sling for mine although I keep 'planning' to get a couple of those Urban ERT slings (PS90 needs one too) .
I hollowed out the foregrip on mine & stuck in a flashlight, I think its a good idea.

One thing I do recommend is called Neu-Trigger. $27 on gunbroker. It smoothes out the trigger which helps a lot. The trigger is the only complaint I have for that thing.
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 13 Sep 2011, 00:56

I load 62 grain fmj's for mine and it seems to love them. The accuracy with them is pretty ridiculous. The only problem I had with my initial cleaning was getting the plastic case extractor back on. Once you do it the first time its a breeze. Its a really great rifle, so have some fun with it.

SoCal Gunner

Post by SoCal Gunner » 14 Sep 2011, 05:20

That Neu-Trigger must be the real deal; I've read several glowing reviews now.

Little things the case extractor & other things only an owner would know are great gems of info.

Thanks for the tips guys, keep 'em coming.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 14 Sep 2011, 13:14

Visceral, would you mind explaining the plastic case extractor thing as my extractor is metal? A pic would be nice.

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 14 Sep 2011, 14:28

I
Need
One

My problem is by the time I save up to about $1400 I am lured away by something else

SoCal Gunner

Post by SoCal Gunner » 14 Sep 2011, 15:53

Tachycardia wrote:I
Need
One

My problem is by the time I save up to about $1400 I am lured away by something else

LOL - I hear ya! I was saving for a NightHawk and a local merchant put the FS2000 pre-Kalifornicated optic models on closeout and here I am!

Tachycardia

Post by Tachycardia » 14 Sep 2011, 18:59

satellitedr3ams wrote:Before you bring her home, get some fresh roses on the counter, Set the lighting justtttt right and make sweet sweet finger love with her right on the kitchen floor.... Just kidding, go shoot it and report back.

I don't advise the Rem Dry Lube

Visceral_Malice

Post by Visceral_Malice » 14 Sep 2011, 19:10

Rapier, I was referring to the plastic part on the bolt assembly that catches the spent cases and drops them in the ejection tube. Perhaps extractor was an improper term, but I'm not certain as to what its called. I had to wrestle with it for a while the first time before I realized it sits beside the recoil spring and over the bolt.

This dragon looking part. Sorry. I won't lie, but several beers may have impaired my ability to describe.

Also, SoCal, I had to run mine on the high gas setting for the first 50 rounds. I guess my spring was a bit tight. I don't know if anyone else had this issue, but after that it has run flawlessly.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 14 Sep 2011, 21:40

Visceral_Malice wrote:Rapier, I was referring to the plastic part on the bolt assembly that catches the spent cases and drops them in the ejection tube. Perhaps extractor was an improper term, but I'm not certain as to what its called. I had to wrestle with it for a while the first time before I realized it sits beside the recoil spring and over the bolt.
This dragon looking part. Sorry. I won't lie, but several beers may have impaired my ability to describe.
Also, SoCal, I had to run mine on the high gas setting for the first 50 rounds. I guess my spring was a bit tight. I don't know if anyone else had this issue, but after that it has run flawlessly.
That dragon looking part is called the switch. The easiest way I found to remove/re-install it is described in step 5 here: w/index.php?title=FS2000_FieldStripping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SoCal Gunner

Post by SoCal Gunner » 15 Sep 2011, 09:39

Tachycardia wrote:
satellitedr3ams wrote:Before you bring her home, get some fresh roses on the counter, Set the lighting justtttt right and make sweet sweet finger love with her right on the kitchen floor.... Just kidding, go shoot it and report back.

I don't advise the Rem Dry Lube

:lmao:

SoCal Gunner

Post by SoCal Gunner » 15 Sep 2011, 09:40

Rapier1772 wrote:
Visceral_Malice wrote:Rapier, I was referring to the plastic part on the bolt assembly that catches the spent cases and drops them in the ejection tube. Perhaps extractor was an improper term, but I'm not certain as to what its called. I had to wrestle with it for a while the first time before I realized it sits beside the recoil spring and over the bolt.
That dragon looking part is called the switch. The easiest way I found to remove/re-install it is described in step 5 here: w/index.php?title=FS2000_FieldStripping" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nice - Bookmarked for when I'm cussing at the "switch"!

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 15 Sep 2011, 17:55

Be careful when cussing at the dragon, sometimes it bites :laugh: