Which firearm is best for home defense?

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
Samuel16

Which firearm is best for home defense?

Post by Samuel16 » 18 Sep 2020, 05:33

I was planning to buy a new firearm for home defense. But I was in a dilemma to choose one from the AR-15 pistol and 1911.

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Which firearm is best for home defense?

Post by Rapier1772 » 18 Sep 2020, 16:55

As this is the FiveseveN forum, I'd recommend a FiveseveN or PS90 :D
It really depends on your situation/circumstances but IMO, a shotgun is best for home defense. Smaller chance of missing, using shot limits over -penetration (slugs will probably over-penetrate tho).
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

Richard16

Which hand gun is best for home defense?

Post by Richard16 » 22 Sep 2020, 22:21

Among all the Handguns which hand gun is best for home defense

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Re: Which firearm is best for home defense?

Post by Rapier1772 » 23 Sep 2020, 14:04

Merged with another thread of same subject. My previous post in this thread was short because I thought we had a thread on this subject already, was going to do a search & link to that one but it's not coming up without more digging. So we'll just start over

Firstly, there is no one gun that is best for every situation/person. Do not buy a gun thinking just owning a gun makes you safe.
  • Understand that bullets may go through walls and/or may go through people, is over-penatration an issue with your situation? (This could be mitigated by choice of ammo for most firearms)
  • Are you familiar with firearms? If not, ask someone if they'd take you shooting to try out some options. Take note of the gun's weight, recoil, ease of operation...
  • Have you had training? If not, get training. You don't have to spend thousands but get trained by more than just youtube videos.
  • Practice! For most people, shooting is a perishable skill meaning if you don't use it, you'll lose it. Also, the gun may malfunction if it just sits in a safe waiting for the day trouble comes, maybe the lube has evaporated or a spring has lost some tension. Or maybe you forget the safety or how to clear a malfunction?
  • If you have kids or other people who shouldn't have access to firearms, you'll need a safe or locker of some kind.
There's a lot of information on this and other forums, please read up & ask questions
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.