ATF changes their minds, Sig Brace.

Discuss the politics behind the gun industry.
jmz5
Site Admin

ATF changes their minds, Sig Brace.

Post by jmz5 » 16 Jan 2015, 15:21

Imagine that?

http://zero7one.com/atf-reverses-sig-brace-decision/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
كاف

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: ATF changes their minds, Sig Brace.

Post by panzermk2 » 16 Jan 2015, 16:28

Now imagine hot little I care about what the ATF thinks anymore.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

Rapier1772
Global Moderator

Post by Rapier1772 » 16 Jan 2015, 19:28

Called it a year ago
http://www.fivesevenforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=9547" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
How to post pics & videos: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6363
Contrary to popular belief, you CAN fix stupid - it's just illegal.

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 16 Jan 2015, 20:57

That's a pretty slippery slope, the ATF telling us how we can shoot? I agree, the Sig brace is an SBR workaround, but of course it's a work around to a dumb law in the first place that was imposed after a failure to ban handguns. What's next, pistols have to be held at 90 degrees at all times? Thumb over bore firing will become illegal? As mad as it all makes me, my sympathy is a bit low. The ATF is in the business of giving answers that people don't want to hear, so why do people keep asking the questions?

xslice

Post by xslice » 16 Jan 2015, 21:02

Another story regarding the SIG15. Coming out of Kommifornia where most LEO's probably don't understand all of the BS gun laws out there.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2015/0 ... ped-ar-15/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

xslice

Post by xslice » 16 Jan 2015, 22:03

ATF's open letters site does not list this letter??? Maybe a ruse?

Found it. https://www.atf.gov/content/Firearms/firearms-industry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kfeltenberger
Gold Member
custom title: BSG-94 Chronicler

Post by kfeltenberger » 17 Jan 2015, 15:00

DoubleJ wrote:That's a pretty slippery slope, the ATF telling us how we can shoot? I agree, the Sig brace is an SBR workaround, but of course it's a work around to a dumb law in the first place that was imposed after a failure to ban handguns. What's next, pistols have to be held at 90 degrees at all times? Thumb over bore firing will become illegal? As mad as it all makes me, my sympathy is a bit low. The ATF is in the business of giving answers that people don't want to hear, so why do people keep asking the questions?
No, it isn't a slippery slope if you know why the brace was developed. It was developed by a vet who wanted to give other vets who lost a hand the ability to still fire an AR pistol.

The reason we got this letter is because asshats who couldn't leave well enough alone with last year's ruling kept asking asinine questions that really verged on the making of an SBR while calling it a pistol and giving a wink to all in sight because the *intent* was to skirt the SBR rules with what was nominally a "pistol".

ATF wouldn't have issued this letter if people would have just stayed quiet, built their pistols, and occasionally used them incorrectly. But...with the ATF, it's all about *intent*.
Kurt

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ » 17 Jan 2015, 16:07

kfeltenberger wrote:
DoubleJ wrote:That's a pretty slippery slope, the ATF telling us how we can shoot? I agree, the Sig brace is an SBR workaround, but of course it's a work around to a dumb law in the first place that was imposed after a failure to ban handguns. What's next, pistols have to be held at 90 degrees at all times? Thumb over bore firing will become illegal? As mad as it all makes me, my sympathy is a bit low. The ATF is in the business of giving answers that people don't want to hear, so why do people keep asking the questions?
No, it isn't a slippery slope if you know why the brace was developed. It was developed by a vet who wanted to give other vets who lost a hand the ability to still fire an AR pistol.

The reason we got this letter is because asshats who couldn't leave well enough alone with last year's ruling kept asking asinine questions that really verged on the making of an SBR while calling it a pistol and giving a wink to all in sight because the *intent* was to skirt the SBR rules with what was nominally a "pistol".

ATF wouldn't have issued this letter if people would have just stayed quiet, built their pistols, and occasionally used them incorrectly. But...with the ATF, it's all about *intent*.
Right, that's what I was saying...

toyslr

Post by toyslr » 28 Jan 2015, 09:35

Anyone who didn't think this would happen knows nothing about firearms and current laws...

NO SURPRISE at all....