New gun chamber cleaning

FNFbobcat

New gun chamber cleaning

Post by FNFbobcat » 14 Nov 2020, 10:41

Just polished my new Ruger 57 chamber. Removed a lot of brown gunk, which is probably either a preservative (Cosmoline?) or residue from the surface treatment. I have seen this same stuff on new Savage blued firearms, and think it may be related to Melaniting.
Break Free CLP alone will not remove all of it. I use Flitz paste on a rag wrapped around a brush. There was less in the bore.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter
Location: Around here it's more like what can we shoot through next.

Re: New gun chamber cleaning

Post by panzermk2 » 17 Nov 2020, 12:42

This might explain someof the over pressure case separations. Of course all chamber cleaning for ANY 5.7 you should use carb cleaner. Not parts cleaner, not gun solvent, but carb cleaner that can remove the lacquer.

https://youtu.be/HPXXzrnaEek
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 18 Nov 2020, 14:23

I plan to use carb cleaner for routine maintenance (re: lacquer removal).

I can see where this virgin chamber gunk could have a higher coefficient of friction than bare chamber wall. It is very thick and sticky.

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 15 Jan 2021, 07:47

Just found this also applies to magazines.

While loading/unloading, I felt the follower sticking. Not badly, but just enough for me to investigate.

Disassembled the mag and gave the inside and spring a thorough scrubbing with CLP. Same result as with chamber, a rag full of brown preservative gunk. While I am unaware of any significant mag issues reported with the Ruger57, I figure cleaning won't do any harm, and follower does seem to slide more easily.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 15 Jan 2021, 13:27

Besides gunk there have been inder sized mags, ruger is aware of this issue so when you contact them they replace mags ASAP.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 17 Jan 2021, 18:48

Thanks for the info Jay. First I've heard of this issue. How do I know if mine are under size?

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 18 Jan 2021, 08:33

Well after cleaning at around the 15 round mark do your rounds still get stuck in the magazine?
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

FNFbobcat

Post by FNFbobcat » 18 Jan 2021, 12:54

No, but I did discover another issue that might contribute to this problem.

When reassembling the magazine I noticed the spring can go in two ways, but only one is correct. The spring bottom tab is canted. If you insert without compressing, you will notice the plate attached to the spring bottom will either be parallel to the bottom of the magazine, or not. If it is not, remove and turn 180deg and reinsert.

My magazines will hold twenty rounds, but I am not comfortable with the force required to insert the last two rounds. So I only carry with eighteen. Reliable feeding is more important to me than those extra two rounds. I have not been able to locate cheap ammo to see if it will feed twenty reliably.

If I haven't "neutralized the threat" with the first nineteen T6B's, it's probably not going to end well for me anyway.