Ruger Stainless Rust Question

Discuss the variety of handguns out there.
Hane

Ruger Stainless Rust Question

Post by Hane » 14 Nov 2019, 05:23

I have noticed some Ruger 1911 owners mention some issues with rust on stainless guns. I was wondering what specific parts of the gun….just the frame or are there any with rust on the slide too? I think the slides are machined from bar stock while the frames are cast. So the slides may be a different stainless alloy than that of the frames. What can you say about this review? Appreciate any information on this subject.
Last edited by Hane on 21 Nov 2019, 00:13, edited 1 time in total.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Re: Ruger Stainless Rust Question

Post by panzermk2 » 18 Nov 2019, 08:18

Not sure, SS can still rust a little.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

"Engineers, the oompa-loompas of science!"

Be'ein Tachbulot Yipol Am Veteshua Berov Yoetz

sclark21

Post by sclark21 » 24 Jan 2023, 19:10

I had an early SR1911 Govt that developed rust. Ruger replaced it for me, saying they’d gotten a bad batch of stainless in. If I recall correctly, most if not all the rustt spots were on the frame.

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 25 Jan 2023, 09:45

Well the new Ruger 57 pistols are rusting all to hell and Ruger is refusing to do anything about it.
Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition

tacticalbow

Post by tacticalbow » 23 Jun 2023, 12:41

When it comes to rust on stainless steel guns, it's important to understand that stainless steel is not completely impervious to corrosion. While it's generally more resistant to rust compared to other types of steel, it can still develop rust under certain conditions.

In the case of the Ruger 1911, some owners have reported encountering rust, but it's not a widespread issue.

The Ruger 1911 frames are typically cast from stainless steel, which provides a solid foundation for the firearm. Stainless steel frames are generally less prone to rust compared to carbon steel frames. However, if the surface finish or protective coating is compromised, rust can potentially form.

Now, let's talk about the slides. Ruger 1911 slides are typically machined from bar stock, and they may indeed be made from a different stainless steel alloy than the frames. This is done to provide the desired characteristics for the slide, such as strength and durability. While it's less common for the slides to rust, it's not entirely unheard of. If the surface of the slide is exposed to moisture or corrosive substances without proper maintenance, rust can develop.

To mitigate the risk of rust on your Ruger 1911, it's essential to take proper care of the firearm. Regular cleaning, lubrication, and storage in a dry environment are crucial. Additionally, applying a thin coat of oil or a protective firearm-specific product to the surfaces can help create a barrier against moisture and minimize the chances of rust formation.

Stay vigilant, keep your Ruger 1911 well-maintained, and happy shooting!

panzermk2
Forum Supporter

Post by panzermk2 » 23 Jun 2023, 12:53

It has nothing to do with the metal, they are coming out of the box with rust on the slides.
Brand new, in the wrapping and rusted BAD

Don't get me started on all the other problems. Over a year ago I made video about all the things I thought might be a problem with the R57. Not only was I 100% right and totally vindicated Ruger had even MORE issues with frames cracking, frame rails cracking, safeties not working, ejectors falling out.

The treatment Ruger used is shit.

My to R57's had rusty slides out of the box. These are mostly all different guns. Pics sent to me by customers.

Jay Wolf
Pr. Elite Ammunition